Saturday, January 1, 2011

Christmas in New England









So ... it was our first holiday season in snowy New England, a far cry from the magical windows of the Fifth Avenue Department stores, the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree, and the ball drop in Times Square.






Instead, we were snowbound, with more than enough to eat and drink, a visit from my parents, a cozy fire, and a 500-page manuscript to review before January 5!












Herewith ... a photo essay of how I spent my Christmas vacation ...





Happy 2011 to everyone, and may the new year bring you tidings of comfort and joy, and abundant health and happiness!




What are your wishes for the new year? Did you make any resolutions this time?


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are those oven mitts over the fireplace? Funny! Send me some red velvet cupcakes, please. Being snowbound isn't always a bad thing, is it?

My New Year's resolution: write two books this year. Yes, I said it.

Leslie Carroll said...

Oh, yes, indeedy, Christine, those are oven mitts! I bought them at Crate & Barrel. When I was a little girl we celebrated Christmas, and then as I got older, my parents would look at me and say, "We're Jewish! We don't celebrate Christmas." But we used to celebrate ... with a 8-foot-tall tree (a real one!) and stockings, even though we didn't have a mantelpiece. My father thumb-tacked them to our rent-controlled bedroom door.

I enjoy any holiday where you give or get presents. And I love the sights and scents and sounds of Christmas and the spirit of it all.

The red velvet cupcakes have 1/4 tsp of mint extract in them and even that's a lot. The King Arthur Flour company's extract packs a wallop! The icing is pure vanilla buttercream from scratch!

And I bet you'll get 2 books written by JUNE, if I know you! :)

elena maria vidal said...

What a lovely home!

Lizzie said...

OMg I can not belive I missed this one. You fire place is to die for beautiful Leslie. Really you have such great taste it looks so warn and inviting!